What in the world is “The Adventures of Flat Jesus?”
The original “flat” character was Flat Stanley, the star of a book series by Jeff Brown. In these books, a boy named Stanley becomes flattened to half-an-inch thick and is mailed to different places around the world for all kinds of exciting adventures. It was from this idea the “Flat Jesus” project grew.
Just as Flat Stanley has helped children with literacy and geography, we see the Flat Jesus project as a fun way to help children stay plugged into their faith throughout the summer months - giving families a unique opportunity to continually engage in their faith development all summer long!
As you are out and about this summer, take Flat Jesus along for the adventure and document it with pictures to share with Trinity. Take a picture of him doing all sorts of things: going out to dinner, having fun at the beach or in the mountains, hanging out with friends or cousins; whatever you are up to, we want to see it too! It will be an amazing adventure!
You don’t have to have kids or grandkids to participate - this project is for EVERYONE! It is a great way for our entire Trinity family to stay connected over the summer and to help us ALL remember that Jesus never leaves us, and He is with us, wherever we go.
Who knows, it just might start up a conversation with someone about what you are doing… and why!
How to participate in the Flat Jesus project:
1. Print the Flat Jesus template found here onto heavy cardstock paper, if possible. Copies are also available at both of our church campus welcome desks.
2. Get creative! Decorate Flat Jesus — what color hair does he have? What color skin tone? How should his robes be decorated? How do you see Jesus?
3. Make one for yourself and feel free to send one to a friend too.
4. If you have access to a laminating machine, cut out and laminate your Flat Jesus. This way if he attempts to walk on water or spills a bit of wine, he’ll be protected!
5. Take your Flat Jesus everywhere and take plenty of pictures.
6. Share your pictures with us. Upload pictures to our children’s ministry Facebook page at: facebook.com/trinityxtremekids, post on Instagram tagging us @trinityxtremekids, or use #txkflatjesus. Pictures will be shared with the congregation throughout the summer.
7. Use the FAITH5 and KidsCan! Devotional resources as a way to connect each day about what you and Flat Jesus experienced.
8. Have Fun!
We can’t wait to see what adventures you and Flat Jesus get into this summer!
Trinity Lutheran Church
Children’s Ministry Director